TeamLease Services identifies 10 key areas that youngsters need to focus on to be job-ready
Bangalore, August 03, 2017: The changes in the global economy coupled with technological interventions have transformed the employment scenario in the country states TeamLease services. While it has opened up more avenues, it has made the process of selection both for corporates as well as candidates far more complex. It requires candidates to be job ready.
Elaborating about the employment scenario in the country, Ms. Neeti Sharma, TeamLease Services said, “Out of the 10 lakh youth who enter the job market every year only 58% are employable. Apart from the skill deficient, lack of preparedness is one of the major reasons for such low unemployability. Candidates need to focus on job preparedness along with industry relevant skills to build successful and meaningful career.” States, Ms. Neeti Sharma, Senior Vice President, TeamLease Services.
Apart from industry or profile relevant technical skills, some of the areas that students should focus and prepare themselves are
1. Assess your skills: Making a career choice can be a daunting task and should not be done by mere likes dislikes. It should be based on aptitude, knowledge and skills. Various behavioral and Skills assessments tools can be found for one to understand oneself.
2. Make a wishlist – Learn a skill: Make a wishlist of the kind of companies you want to work with, jobs you want to do and then understand their expectations from job seekers for these roles. Match them with the skills one possess, knowledge, aptitude and identify the gap between the expectations and the skills. Based on the gaps make a road map to learn the required skills or upgrade the skills. Fundamental skills such as interpersonal communication, soft skills, English language skills are the key skills most employers look for in a new hire. It is always worthwhile to take time out for skilling, reskilling and upskilling yourself.
3. Apprenticeship: Not everyone would want to start working in a full time job immediately after college. Do take time to apprentice with employers . Even if these apprenticeships are not in the industry or function where you want to find permanent employment, they will help you understand the nuances of working in an organization. Many also provide stipend to apprentices so it is not always just a learning process, it will also allow you to earn while you learn.
4. Value: Understand what value you would be able to add to the company when you start working. Employment is an earned privilege, not a right – even with various degrees and certificates there are no promises or guarantees. Employees are the biggest asset to any organization, and those who add value have the best jobs.
5. Learn to Articulate: Many graduates find it difficult to explain what they want to do, what skills they possess and what kind of work would fit them. Hence at the time of interview, providing relevant information about oneself becomes important. One needs to objectively and effectively articulate and pitch. This will help find the right employment.
6. Travel or Volunteer: Getting the right job will take time and while you do so, try and participate in various community activities within or outside the place of stay. Travelling to newer places will help gain social skills, survival skills and management skills. Volunteering to work in the social sector will enable one to interact directly with public and expand the horizons.
7. Tech Savvy: Technology is not just being hooked onto social media. There is a much larger canvas of technology that companies use for better productivity and output. Openness to adopt and learn new platforms that assists in better performance at workplace is highly appreciated.
8. References: Gather 3 to 5 references that can be given easily to potential employers. Having a good reference, be it your teachers , family friends or even other professionals can be a differentiating factor many a times.
9. Dealing with Failure: Of course we all start with a “can’t fail” approach, however remember, everything one does will not always be successful. In today’s world, failure is an accepted norm as long as one learns from his/ her failures or mistakes and apply these learning’s for improvement. However, failure should not be due to laziness, lack of interest, skills and hard work. If one has failed despite putting in the best efforts, do learn from the past and move on to new areas.
10. Get a life: Of course education, degrees or certificates are important and rather critical in shaping the future. But just these will not help one grow in their professional career. Get a life outside of academics, know and learn a new topic outside your profession. Forge an identity, look for a source of joy and meaning and continue putting the best foot forward.
Remember, the working world operates by different sets of rules than what you have been used to. Different organizations have different expectations about attendance, dressing rules, communication etc. Be prepared to unlearn and relearn in the context of the organization that one is planning to work with. A long and fruitful professional life calls for an openness and preparedness to learn and enjoy the journey.
About TeamLease Services Limited
Operating since 2002, today TeamLease is one of India’s leading human resource service companies. Currently, the company has 8 offices and 1400 clients across the country. The company has is a one-stop provider of human resources services, offering staffing, payroll processing, recruitment, compliance and training services. TeamLease set in motion the larger company mission of ‘Putting India to Work’ by focusing on its vision of 3 Es – Employment, Employability and Education. The company in partnership with the Government of Gujarat, set up TeamLease Skills University (TLSU), India’s first vocational university, at Vadodara. In FY2015, TeamLease rolled out NETAP (National Employability through Apprenticeship Program) to provide on-the-job training to apprentices. The company at present has about 125,000 associates/ trainees spread across the country and have till date given employment to 1.2 million people with an aim to hire millions more. For more details, visitwww.teamlease.com.